Q: What would cause my 2008 Ford Escape to growl at 40 mph and what would it cost to repair.

How much to be repaired.

Hello. From what you are saying it does sound like you have a bearing failure. When they fail they will make a growling beginning at higher speed. You will then get it at lower speeds the more you drive with it bad. I usually check the tires too because this can be caused by a tire that is not wearing evenly. If you are looking to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [replace your bearings] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/wheel-bearings-replacement