Q: What would cause my 2008 Ford Escape to growl at 40 mph and what would it cost to repair.

How much to be repaired.

Wheel Bearings Replacement $94.60 - $550.03 Get a Quote

Hello. From what you are saying it does sound like you have a bearing failure. When they fail they will make a growling beginning at higher speed. You will then get it at lower speeds the more you drive with it bad. I usually check the tires too because this can be caused by a tire that is not wearing evenly. If you are looking to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [replace your bearings] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/wheel-bearings-replacement