Q: Installed a new battery and the battery light is still on

asked by on December 21, 2016

I recently installed a new battery in my car and I drove it but the battery light came on and then today it stopped on me again.

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote

This may be a sign of a failing alternator or voltage regulator. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge causing the battery light to come on as you have indicated. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.