Q: 1999 camry shifting hard?

I have a 1999 camry 161k miles, the first and second gear shifts are noticeable in terms of being jarring, the shifts usually occur around 2200-3000 RPM, also sometimes when accelerating upto highway speeds the transmission seems to get "confused" not shifting until 3800RPM(although it is usually a smooth shift ) I did a fluid change and that did help but I'm still feeling a bit of kick, if I accelerate more quickly it lessens the jarring motion, is the problem my driving? The transmission? How desperate is the problem? Thanks.

Good clean fluid is important, but the problem with most automatic transmissions is that the fluid that you change in the pan is only about a third of the fluid in the transmission. Many shops use special equipment to flush the old fluid out of the transmission while it is running. But your problem might be somewhere else. Your car has an electronically controlled transmission so there might be a control issue. The Transmission controller stores trouble codes like the engine controller, so a technician with the right scanning equipment can read the codes and tell you if it is a control issue. You can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your rough shifting problem and let you know what can be done about it.

3. 1999 camry shifting hard?