Q: Car jerks during quick acceleration

asked by on May 24, 2016

My car has gone around 150,000 miles. The problem appears when I try to accelerate quickly. Then, the car would make these jerking movements. If I try to pass some car, it would hesitate and jerk until it gathers some speed. The car doesn't have stalling issues however. But, it also takes the car a bit longet to start up. It usually happens after I drive for a while and then stop briefly. When I get back to the car and turn it on, the RPM would quickly increase two times and then get back to normal. The car died on ome once, right after I bought it. I filled the tank with gas and started it and it turned off. It happened to be the fuel pumpp fuse which was replaced. I haven't regularly maintained the car or changed the transmission fluid. What do you suggest?

Engine hesitates during acceleration Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

You may have a misfire in the engine or low fuel pressure from a bad pump, clogged filter, or both. I recommend having a mechanic test the fuel pressure and volume to see if the fuel pump is meeting specifications. Also, have the ignition system checked for misfires and see if it is in need of any service. From there, they will be able to determine the cause of your acceleration issue and let you know what needs repair.