Q: Are there 2 camshaft positioning sensors to replace on this car

asked by on September 13, 2016

My check engine light is on and car is running rough error code is 200 1208 cam shaft balancing issue.should I replace the camshaft positioning sensors or is this a deeper issue with balancer. I have read about a class action law suite against mercedes

You actually have four camshaft sensors. Two on each head and one for each camshaft. There is likely a deeper issue that should be diagnosed.

1208 is "Constant adjustment of intake camshaft or right cylinder bank in direction retarded." 200 is "(Throttle valve actuator), Position throttle valve."

There is nothing in these codes that suggest there is a balance shaft issue. These codes together could be two separate issues or more than one issue. Only time diagnosing your car will tell. I wouldn’t recommend replacing camshaft sensors without a thorough diagnosis.

The 1200 camshaft code is a cam timing problem. It could be a mechanical problem with the chain or a problem with the system that adjusts the variable valve timing. Variable valve timing system consist of solenoids that advance and retard the camshafts. All manufacturers tend to have issues with these solenoids.

The 200 code has to do with your throttle plate. This could be a TPS (throttle position sensor), throttle valve motor, or a physical problem with the throttle plate itself.

Both of these codes will require a scanner and a technician with experience, like one from YourMechanic, to properly diagnose the trouble codes in your car.

Good luck!