Q: manual transmission hard to sift into second or fourth gear

asked by on February 27, 2017

okay so i drive a 95 toyota celica gt, when i bought the car it was shifting alright but the clutch pedal would stick to the ground while driving which isnt safe in traffic. I asked a friend what it could be and he said it could be that my slave cylinder needs replacing, and it did! it was worn out completely so i replaced it with a brand new one. I test drove it again to see how it helped and the clutch didnt stick as but but it still did and it was still difficult to shift into the bottom gears such as 2nd 4th and reverse. the top gears are easy to get into 1, 3, and 5th. im not sure what the problem is, is it the shifter box, transmission fluid, clutch or the transmission?.

Hello. There are few things which could be causing a problem with your 2nd and 4th gear. It could be that the shift linkage is out of adjustment, due to worn bushings, or it came out of adjustment when the slave cylinder was installed. After installing the slave cylinder all the air must be bled out of the hydraulic system otherwise you may have issues shifting your vehicle. The last thing I suspect are worn synchronizers inside your transmission. I suggest that you have a technician investigate the things I’ve mentioned because one is likely causing your shifting issue. Most likely it will be related to your shift linkage. You’re able to find a technician who can evaluate your vehicle here https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-hard-to-shift-inspection

Hello. There are few things which could be causing a problem with your 2nd and 4th gear. It could be that the shift linkage is out of adjustment, due to worn bushings, or it came out of adjustment when the slave cylinder was installed. After installing the slave cylinder all the air must be bled out of the hydraulic system otherwise you may have issues shifting your vehicle. The last thing o suspect are worn synchronizers inside your transmission. I suggest that you have a technician investigate the things I’ve mentioned because one is likely causing your shifting issue. Most likely it will be related to your shift linkage. You’re able to find a technician who can evaluate your vehicle here https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-hard-to-shift-inspection