Q: Manual transmission and power surging

My 2007 Toyota Tacoma truck has only 25,000 miles on it, and has a manual transmission which I prefer because of the control it gives me. Yet, it was a scary surprise when the truck started surging forward at high gears uncontrollably. The revs stay high between shifts as well. I am sure that this truck will kill me if I do not fix this. I don’t want this to happen more! Is there any way to fix this problem for good?

A: Hello! Thank you for writing in with this q...

Hello! Thank you for writing in with this question. This concern is likely related to the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If the TPS is faulty, it sends an incorrect signal to the vehicle’s computer system, which can result in surging or sustained engine RPM. There are a number of tests that can be performed on a TPS to verify correct operation. A local mechanic (like those with YourMechanic) should be able to diagnose TPS sensor by back-probing the sensor and checking for an erratic signal.