Q: My car has a coolant leak but the engine is not overheating.

asked by on October 19, 2016

Yesterday I noticed my coolant reservoir was very low. I added antifreeze to reach the recommended level. My car engine doesn't overheat and hasn't overheated while driving. This morning after driving to work I parked my car. When I returned in the evening there was a small slight greenish puddle underneath the front section of my car. I also smell hot coolant when outside my car after driving. The water pump and manifold gasket were replaced a little over two years ago. Thoughts on what it may be? And any opinions on length of time for getting the issue repaired?

Thanks!

Radiator Replacement $299.84 - $1239.51 Get a Quote
Water Pump Replacement $171.86 - $1147.02 Get a Quote
Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Since you have had the water pump and intake gasket replaced in the last two years, I would recommend having the system pressure tested and inspected to see if the radiator is leaking or the water pump is leaking again. A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to pressure test the system and diagnose it for causes of the leak and address the eventual overheating of the engine.