Q: Bolt on bottom of transfer case. 2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Took the bolt off the very bottom of my transfer case trying to drain it. A spring and what looks like a 9mm bullet almost came out. Wondering what order and how they go back in or if they are part of something I broke?!

Hello - I would consult a service manual on your transfer case problem if possible, but basic guidance would be: the "bullet" would go back in first, followed by the spring, followed by the ’"bolt". Examine the "bullet" - one end should be machined to match the spring, or be flat where the spring would contact it. For further assistance, I would recommend a transfer case inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Bolt on bottom of transfer case. 2001 Dodge Ram 2500