Q: Why would a transfer case jump gears?

Why would a transfer case jump gears?

Hi there. If the vehicle is all stock, then the only reasons why the transfer case would do this is because the chain or belt in the case is worn out. If the vehicle is modified in any way, such as larger wheels and tires or lifted suspension, that can also put excessive load on these components and cause it to jump. If it has jumped, then the transfer case will need to be rebuilt. This type of repair is best left to a transmission specialist.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect the fluid in your transfer case if needed, and give more specific suggestions about why your transfer case jumped gears.

3. Why would a transfer case jump gears?