Q: Car won't go into gear or it will slowly go into gear but hesitates to pull.

It is slow to register that it's in gear and then once it go into gear it will pull a little but then stop and rpms go up high.

Whether you have a manual transmission or an automatic transmission, if the rpm’s are going up and the vehicle is not moving, then the clutch on the manual or the clutches in the automatic are slipping causing the vehicle to not move. For the automatic transmission, check the fluid and see if its low or dark in color. If the fluid is red in color and full, then the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. For the manual transmission, check the clutch fork on the bell housing and see if the fork is moving all the way. If the fork is moving all the way, then the clutch is not holding and it is slipping. Then the clutch would need to be replaced. If you need further assistance with your transmission slipping, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Car won't go into gear or it will slowly go into gear but hesitates to pull.