Q: Reduced engine power and car shuts off

July 2016 check engine light came on took car to dealer -- needed new catalytic converter. October 2016 car stopped while driving received message " reduced engine power". car started up and drove it to the dealer, needed new engine control module (ECM)..Shortly after installing the new ECM I started getting a random check engine light .. back to the dealer several times but they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. Last week 11/30/16 car stopped again received "reduced engine power" message.. car started up drove a few feet and it stopped and would not restart. Had it towed to local garage and they installed a new battery, but don't believe that is the issue. It's back at the dealer and they just called to say the intake and exhaust valves need cleaned due to carbon build up --would this cause a car to stop and is this the appropriate fix ? It's a very expensive fix.

Hi there. If there is carbon build up on the valves in the engine then that can cause a rough running condition and even a check engine light but that will not usually cause the vehicle to stall. It sounds like you have another issue going on here. From my experience with this vehicle most of the time this is caused by a voltage issue. Most of the time it is a loose or dirty ground connection or an issue with the ignition switch. I usually start by scanning the computer for codes to see what is coming up as that can assist in finding the issue. If the codes do not help then the electrical system would need to be diagnosed to see where the power is being lost. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the check engine light is on and why the vehicle is stalling] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-stalling-inspection

3. Reduced engine power and car shuts off