Q: Hello- My 1989 automatic, full-size K5 Blazer, was towed about 6 blocks, when the mechanic tried to drive it into a service bay, i

1989 Chevy K5 Blazer, automatic transmission, fuel injected, 4x4

The Blazer was not starting, however, when it started, it stalled out and was unable to re-start - The Blazer was towed to a garage, approximately 6 blocks away - Three mechanic's looked the Blazer over for possible issues - When a mechanic got behind the wheel and tried to drive it into a service bay, there were no gears, it would not go into any gear, it was not drive-able - The Blazer was then pushed into a parking spot, where it sits - I will have it towed to a nearby transmission shop, to locate the issue, but I would like an opinion on what the issue might be, how to repair it, and what the cost may be - Thank you!

Hello. We will be happy to help you out. There are only a few things which can cause your transmission to not select gear. They can be bad shifter bushings, shift linkage broken or disconnected, or an internal transmission issue. The most common cause of a internal transmission issues derives from low or contaminated fluid. Your shift linkage is also held in by little cotter pin. The cotter pin is basically an oversized bobby pin. They may weaken over time due to rust and break, which will allow your shift linkage to wiggle out of place and possibly disconnect. An adjustment of the shift linkage should not be necessary as long as the cotter pin is in place and the stem leading from the transmission to the steering column is structurally sound. I believe you have internal transmission issues or a broken/disconnect shift linkage. Usually an internal transmission issue will require a rebuild or replacement

• Hello- My 1989 automatic, full-size K5 Blazer, was towed about 6 blocks, when the mechanic tried to drive it into a service bay, i