Q: Car starts but immediately quits

asked by on June 24, 2016

My car will start and then immediately quits. The light never stops flashing. I changed the lock cylinder (with passlock sensor) and had the same problem. I then got a BCM from a junk yard (the same model number). I’ve heard that if the numbers match, then it doesn’t have to be reprogrammed. But after that, still had the same problem. The car won’t relearn and the light just continues to flash, even after 30 minutes. Could this be something other than a security issue and what do you suggest will fix it?

If you have replaced all of those components and you’re still getting issues then the problem should be in the fuse box with the body control module fuse located in it (on the driver side) or there is an open or short in the body control module circuit.

I suggest that you possibly take the vehicle to a technician who specializes in electrical diagnosis to find the root of this problem. Usually removing the body control module fuse, with the key in the accessory position, then putting the fuse back in and attempting to start the car quickly will cause the vehicle to start just fine but the problem will likely reoccur at some point.

If you need assistance with these checks and getting this fixed, contact a qualified mechanic who can diagnose your starting issue and make the necessary repairs to your vehicle.