Q: Car shudders during hard braking

For the past couple of months there has been a random vibration when I apply the brakes. As is typical, when I have a mechanic drive it, it doesn't happen. It seems to be coming from the right front side of the car. It's kind of like a strong vibration, like something is moving around rapidly. What could this be?

A: More than likely, your brake rotors are war...

More than likely, your brake rotors are warped. Warped rotors result in a vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel and/or brake pedal. A standard brake job with new pads and new or machined rotors (depending on the current condition of the rotors) should cure this. To determine if this is the case, I suggest having your vehicle inspected firsthand. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect your vibration issue and replace your brake rotors if necessary.