Q: weird while sitting at traffic light

Hello, While in drive the truck at traffic light waiting on the signal to turn sometimes acts like its in neutral and revs but will not go,then it finally goes followed by almost a thump,thump sound from rear wheels.no burning smells or leaks .I have put the truck in(gear) park then back to drive just to make sure its in gear.it also has 4x4 .almost feels like the rear gets locked up.I have had it now for 3 years always kept up on maintenance.Help

Hi there. You are correct; this is weird - especially with less than 50,000 miles on your well maintained Nissan Titan. In most cases, this type of situation is caused by an obstruction of transmission fluid inside the hydraulic lines of the transmission. It can cause gears to become stuck until, like you indicated in your inquiry, you put in in park, then back into gear. Sometimes simply flushing the transmission fluid and changing the filter will solve this issue. However, it could be something entirely different with either linkage or the differential. It is probably best to first, call your dealership and verify that there are no recalls or service bulletins for your vehicle in regards to the issues you’re describing (since it is still likely under powertrain warranty). If they can’t help you, feel free to have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a car is hard to shift inspection. Perhaps they can replicate the symptoms and determine a course of action.

3. weird while sitting at traffic light