Q: Can a misfire cause engine not to start?

I have a cylinder 2 & 4 misfire. I tried to start my truck and a white cloud of smoke came from under the hood and now the engine won't turn over at all. Why won't it start?

Hi there. This sounds like it could be an internal mechanical failure. Were there any other symptoms that started prior to the no start? How long has the check engine light been on with misfire codes stored? That white smoke could be coolant which filled the cylinder and possibly damaged the engine further. Remove the spark plugs and see if the engine will turn over; if there are any abnormal sounds, stop. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to properly assess the situation and avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not start inspection.