Q: Replace run flat tires

I hit a pothole not to long ago and had to replace my tire. I have run flat tires with 40,000 miles on it. Do I have to replace all 4? I have run flat tires – tires resist the effects of deflation when punctured. What are your ideas? Thank you.

A: If you have run flat tires on your 2011 BMW...

If you have run flat tires on your 2011 BMW 328 xDrive and that is your only restriction, then yes, you can only buy one tire and get away with it. If your vehicle is an all-wheel drive, you would need to replace all 4 tires. It is common for tires to be replaced at least in pairs, but if you don't have to buy more than one tire most will not. The reason that all-wheel drive vehicles must replace all tires is that different tread depths all around the vehicle can have an affect on wheel speed, and therefore the computer can get very confused and possibly damage the transmission. Unless your vehicle is all-wheel drive, I would recommend just buying one tire with only 40K on all the other tires.