Q: Engine lost power driving on the road

My 2006 Subaru Outback randomly lost all ability to accelerate the other day when I was driving home. It was scary, I was slowing down all of a sudden and I was not prepared for it. The dashboard lit up with the check engine and cruise control lights. I have 120,000 miles on this car so I expect a couple little issues, but nothing like this. What failed that cause this issue?

A: These issues could be caused by a number of...

These issues could be caused by a number of problems. This could be anything from a mechanical issue (low oil pressure, intake air system leak, etc.) to an electrical problem (throttle position sensor, oxygen sensors, etc.). Since the Check Engine light is illuminated, a local mechanic (like those from YourMechanic) can scan the computer for codes and provide you with a detailed diagnosis.