Q: Car started off just making a weird clunking sort of sound when first put in gear 2004 Mitsubishi Magna

asked by on February 13, 2017

When I started my car the other morning and put it into reverse it made a weird clunking sort of a noise which came from the left hand side when looking at it from front on it only lasted a few minutes but now does it every time. Since then the car has developed a little whining noise when accelerating in first gear. I could just be looking to much into it but any advice would help.

Hello - check fluid levels first, especially power steering and transmission. Check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is illuminated or not. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free on a "time-available" basis. The clunk sound when engaging Drive or Reverse could be a worn constant velocity joint, probably the right, front (from the driver seat). The whining noise could be the power steering pump, alternator or even the transmission. I recommend a car noise inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.