Q: Honda overheating

asked by on September 30, 2016

My 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe is overheating. The fans only comes on when my AC is on and there is no visual leaking. Slow moving traffic and when idling is when it starts to overheat and I pull over and the overflow tank is full of coolant and is bubbling and my heat is horrible sometimes even goes to cold air

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello there, a variety of faults that can cause your 2001 Honda Civic to overheat. Your vehicle has two cooling fans, one is for the AC, the other is for the radiator. When the engine reaches operating temperature both fans should be on. Given that your problems start when the vehicle is in slow moving traffic and when idling the most likely faults would be there cooling fan, fan relay, temperature sensor, thermostat or radiator. You should not drive this vehicle further until repairs have been made as overheating the engine can damage it. A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your overheating issues and make any repairs required.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr