Q: How do I properly store a flat tire in the trunk?

How do I properly store a flat tire in the trunk?

A: If you’ve had a flat, the first step is to ...

If you’ve had a flat, the first step is to get off the road and install the spare tire. However, you also need to make sure to store the flat tire properly in the trunk. Here’s what you should do:

1. Remove the wheel cover or center cap from the wheel.

2. Turn it face down.

3. Place it in the wheel well where the spare tire was.

4. Flip the spacer cone over and insert the bolt from the back.

5. Screw the bolt through the center of the tire into the threaded hole in the trunk.

6. Put the jack, lug wrench and other tools back in the case.

7. Put the case inside the flat tire.

8. Put the wheel cover or center cap somewhere safe in the trunk.

9. Replace the trunk floor cover.

10. Close the trunk.

Tip

After installing the spare tire, your Low Tire Pressure light will come on, and then go off after a few miles. The TPMS light will then come on and stay lit until you have the original wheel put back on.