Q: Stalling, issues with the vapor canister and with adding fuel

My1978 3.8L V6 Firebird with new Rebuilt engine and Carb & Feul pump with lots Gas in the Tank lately Engine shuts off while Driving. Also problem filling Feul tank at Gas station. I have tried everything. Cannot solve the problem. Vapor canister is in bad condition with bottom almost gone.

After adding Gas to Tank Engine with a Can will not start only if I throw some Gas into Carb intake it will start and keep running but after few Miles will shut off 4-5 Miles at most. It is doing this 3-4 times last week stranding me in Heavy Traffic.

This was beautifully Running Car. What is the problem Gas tank Cap vent? Please I have no Hair left had this car for over 35 Years now this problem has me awake at nights. Will be highly Greatfull if you can pin Point the problem

Thanks Zeb Tel 813-968-7192

Hello. The symptoms you describe can be caused by many things. If your vapor canister is having known issues then I would start there, as the vapor canister is tied into the vehicle’s fuel system and can affect its performance. It may be possible that the canister is compromising the fuel system and needs to be replaced. It may also be possible that there is some other issue with the fuel system, such as with the fuel pump or carburetor, as these are the components that deliver the fuel to the engine. Stalling and no start symptoms can also be caused by a wide variety of issues, such as problems with the ignition system, electrical problems, or other issues such as vacuum leaks or electrical problems. If you are also having a problem filling the vehicle that may also indicate that there is an issue with the filler neck, which may warrant replacement of the tank or neck. As it appears that your vehicle is experiencing more than one issue, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to diagnose what may be causing your stalling..

3. Stalling, issues with the vapor canister and with adding fuel