Q: Retainer clip problem on rear end 2003 Dodge Ram 1500

Is it normal for the retainer clip for a rear end to break on a dodge 2003 the gear ratio is 3.92

My car has an automatic transmission. It's a ram 1500 4.7 2wd

Hi there - while not an epidemic problem, rear ends that are "worked" harder (i.e. trailer towing, off-road, etc.) or simply high mileage such as yours will see this problem. There is enough of a side load on these clips to make them fail with enough mileage and age. I would recommend a differential inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, look for possible causes of this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Retainer clip problem on rear end 2003 Dodge Ram 1500