Q: 2004 Range Rover does not engage and move when shifting

asked by on March 04, 2017

My 2004 Range Rover does not engage and move when shifting into drive until the engine has fully heated up. Once it is warmed up, it runs great without slipping. What does this indicate?

Your car has an electronically controlled transmission, So any shifting decisions are made by the transmission controller. It could be that your controller is not giving the drive command, or it could be that there is a solenoid or other part sticking inside the transmission that refuses to move until there is a little heat on it. Either way, there will be a code set in the transmission controller to record the failure. You need to scan the system with the appropriate equipment. The generic scanners like they use at the local auto parts store won’t do the trick in this case. Once you know the codes, you’ll be able to take appropriate action.By contacting Your Mechanic, you can have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your Range Rover transmission and let you know what it’s going to take to fix it.