Q: What is the hose that comes out of the top of the transmission ,goes straight up, curls over and has open end

Transmission fluid is overheating per warning light. Fluid is full. I noticed a small hose coming out of the transmission that goes straight up and curves over. It is not connected to anything at the other end. It was loose. It looks like it should clip into the side of the air filter box. I can't see anything it should connect to. Is this correct? What is this hose for?

This hose is a vent hose for the transmission and would not be connected to anything. The vent is used by the transmission so it will not build up internal pressure and push oil out of any seals. If you are having an overheating problem, take it to the dealer if you are under factory warranty but if not, feel free to have the car looked at by a certified technician who can diagnose the overheating issue firsthand and fix it accordingly.

• What is the hose that comes out of the top of the transmission ,goes straight up, curls over and has open end