Q: Car runs hot when idling

When I am idling in my car, the temperature gauge runs hot, but once I start driving, the gauge goes back down.

Hello! If a vehicle only overheats when sitting, it usually indicates that there is an issue with the radiator fans. It cools back down due to the rushing air that is created by moving, which momentarily acts as a fan for the engine. The fans are designed to kick on when the engine reaches a certain temperature, but they commonly fail due to a bad fan motor, or faulty fan relays. I would directly power the fans to determine if the motors are at fault, or if there is an interruption of the power being delivered to the fans. I suggest having a certified technician, such as one provided by YourMechanic, come out to the location of your vehicle to run an inspection on your overheating condition.

3. Car runs hot when idling