Q: Fuel pump

asked by on November 11, 2016

Went to auto zone to get check engine light checked, it came back as a bad fuel pump, but that was 3 weeks ago and the only thing that happens is it might have a rough idle every now and then at a stoplight. I would think if it was a bad fuel pump the truck wouldn't run. Any ideas

This may happen when the fuel pump is working intermittently or not maintaining the proper fuel pressure. This may also be related partially to the fuel pressure regulator which helps to maintain the proper fuel pressure throughout the system. When this happens, you may notice initially a bit of a rough idle or lack of power. Eventually, this may result in misfiring and other performance problems. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your rough idling condition and service your fuel pump as necessary.