Q: Battery Light comes on and off

I recently installed a stereo system ( new stereo head unit, 4 speakers, 2 amplifiers, 1 epicenter, and 3 12" subwoofers). 2 weeks after install, the original alternator went out, and replaced it with a new alternator purchased at O'Reilly. Drove the car for about another 2 weeks after the new alternator was replaced, and the pulley went out, so once again I replaced it with another alternator. The battery light still came up (flickering, or staying on for 5 seconds or less). I took my car back to the stereo shop and they checked it and said it was a bad back up fuse that was giving me problems. So I went ahead and ran a voltmeter to my alternator, battery, and fuses under my hood. No fuses were broken. I did see that the Optima battery I had was not keeping charge and was measuring at 8v, so I went ahead and got a new optima battery (red cap). I have replaced the positive battery terminal and the battery light comes on still. Even with no bass being pushed out. Thoughts?

Hi there. Although it’s nearly impossible to diagnose an electrical issue without physically inspecting the vehicle, it appears from here that you might have an exposed wire that is constantly drawing a current; which can cause serious damage to components like the alternator and battery. This may have been done during your stereo installation, especially if you installed amplifiers under seats or in the trunk. I’d recommend contacting a professional local mechanic who can complete an electrical problem inspection on your Honda Accord sooner rather than later.