Q: My 2014 dodge journey has tried to overheat 2 times in 6 weeks. Both times tge coolant level was low.

asked by on March 13, 2017

My car has started running hot twice in the past 6 weeks. Both times I was able to stop before the indicator light came on. Both times the coolant level was low. After the second time I took it to the dealership and they said that its leaking coolant from around a cylinder but couldn't give me anymore specific information until they tore the engine down. They still haven't told me anything. What could this be?

Hello there. If the dealership has indicated that you have coolant inside of a cylinder, then it is quite likely that the head gasket failed, causing coolant to seep into the oil galleys and into the combustion chamber. However, a blown head gasket is a symptom of an overheating problem; typically not the reason the engine overheats in the first place. Common causes of overheating include a water pump that has failed, thermostat failure, leaking coolant lines, obstruction in the heater core or a coolant fan failure. Ask the mechanic a few questions to get some details. First, is there coolant in the engine oil? And second - is the head gasket damaged? If this is the case, major engine repairs are likely.