Q: grinding noise when driving and turning steering wheel

when driving my car has a constant grinding/squeak, also when steering. when the engine is switched off and the steering is turned it still makes this noise also if you rock the car at the bonnet it is very loud, i had the two front springs replaced in November last year so that is one thing ruled out any ideas? This is a 2008 plate on a fiat Laguna many thanks

Hi there. What you are describing is commonly associated with damaged or faulty wheel bearings. One warning sign of a wearing out wheel bearing is a loud grinding or roaring sound that comes from the tire area of your car. This is caused by excess heat that has built up inside the wheel bearing and losing a lot of its lubricity. Essentially it’s a metal-to-metal sound that you’re hearing. It’s also common that you’ll hear this from one, specific wheel and not both sides at the same time. Like the above issue, if you notice this warning sign, contact a local ASE certified mechanic as soon as possible so they can diagnose the source of this sound and fix it before it becomes a safety issue.