Q: Car rattles when starting, and when slowing down

asked by on May 12, 2016

My girlfriend's car rattles on 2 occasions: 1. From a cold start, the dashboard area vibrates/rattles a bit violently before smoothing out. 2. When making a sudden stop or slow down, the car rattles for a bit before smoothing out. Any ideas?

Loud squealing or rattling is coming from engine Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

When a car rattles on start up, there is a possibility that it is an engine knock. An engine knock will sound like a tapping from the engine block. The more common causes of a rattle on start up are worn engine mounts. The engine mounts can make more noise on starting the vehicle, when gears are changed, or when slowing down or accelerating hard. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your car’s rattling issue before continuing to drive. Getting this checked sooner than later would be a good preventative step from potentially larger issues from occurring within the engine.