Q: What does the High Temperature indicator mean on the dash?

What does the High Temperature indicator mean on the dash?

A: Your car’s engine creates a lot of heat dur...

Your car’s engine creates a lot of heat during operation. Coolant is cycled throughout the engine to help prevent damage from that heat. If the High Temperature indicator on the dash comes on, it means that the computer has detected a potentially unsafe temperature spike in the coolant. Here’s what you need to know about the light and its operation:

1. The High Temperature indicator should come on and then go off quickly during startup.

2. If the light is blinking, it means that the coolant temperature is rising. It should stop and go out once the temperature stops climbing. Drive slowly if the light is blinking.

3. If the light comes on and stays on, it means that the engine coolant is too hot. If the light comes on and stays on, pull over somewhere safe and let the car cool off.