Whining noise coming from car honda 2003 civic l4-2.0l al...

Q: Whining noise coming from car

asked by on November 03, 2016

Hello, I have a 2003 civic SI with a 5 speed manual. Now just the other day when I started my car on a 50 degree day the car immediately began to make a wining noise and the more load I put on the engine the more the noise made. It almost sounds like a supercharger. Now my particular model had electric power steering so I wouldn't assume that it would be that. It has 136k so I'm wondering if it's the serpentine belt. Would that cause a noise like that? I've heard bad belts and it's almost moRe of a squeal rather than a whine.

Thanks, Ryan

This may be potentially related to a failing alternator as these are known for making a whining sound when they are beginning to fail. When this happens, you may also notice your battery light to come on or the Check Engine Light. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the noise firsthand and service your alternator if necessary.