Q: All of the dashboard lights/icons came on and everything blacked out causing the car to shutdown completely while driving.

Yesterday I experienced the car doors continuing to lock on their own while parking. Also, the engine stopped running causing the car to shutoff. After placing the keys into the ignition, nothing appeared to be coming on. Such as the radio, interior lights, head lights, etc. I waited 10 minutes before attempting to restart the car, but still the ignition failed to turn over. However, everything else did. I contacted AAA who came to test the battery/alternator stating the battery was within the 100 range which they said was low considering that it's suppose to be in the 700 range. So, I purchased a new battery from them with a 6 year warranty included. The service technician replaced the battery and finally the car started.

After work I was on my way home when I noticed ALL warning lights/indicators appeared on the dashboard and moments later everything went dark again and the car began to shutdown while driving on the interstate.

Could someone please tell me what the issue may be?

A: Hi there. The dash lights coming on and veh...

Hi there. The dash lights coming on and vehicle shutting down are, most likely, related to a charging system problem. It’s fairly common for all the dash lights to come on with no alternator output, low voltage can cause unusual electrical issues. The alternator should have been tested at the time of battery replacement. Proper diagnoses should be performed to avoid unnecessary repairs. I recommend having your vehicle’s dash lights on and engine shuts down be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.