I purchased a Used Car from Carmax. I was told on Monday ...

Q: I purchased a Used Car from Carmax. I was told on Monday that they could not get the title and had to turn in the car to the aucti

asked by on July 26, 2017

I purchased a Used Car from Carmax. I was told on Monday that they could not get the title and had to turn in the car to the auctioneer. On Tuesday another car hit me. Carmax said I need to get the car fixed. I'm at a loss. If this is not my car then why do I need to get it fixed and why don't I have a title? And isn't it illegal to sell a car without a title. I've had the car since the end of may.

Hello, thank you for writing in. This is a legal issue that is above the advice and services that we can give. You should check with your local courthouse and see if there are any legal advisers you can speak with. Most states offer some kind of free legal advise hotline. A horrid situation like this involves the person who hit you, their insurance company, Carmax, you, and the insurance policy covering "your" vehicle. Carmax is putting it onto you to figure out, which may or may not be legal. Carmax may be at fault for allowing the vehicle to remain in your possession, and they are going to try to avoid responsibility for that to the fullest extent. Seek legal help, and good luck!