Q: Driving, then engine/oil light turns on, steering locks up, car dies; but just fine after turning off than on.

asked by on December 11, 2016

My car will flash it's engine light and then my steering wheel becomes tight to the point of locking up, and then the car dies. It works fine again after turning it off and on again.

This has happened twice.

The third time, it was the oil light flashing on, my steering locked up but the car didn't die. Again, worked fine after turning car off then on.

What is the problem? Is it safe to drive?

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Any time loss of steering, or power assist to the steering is lost, it can be a safety issue and should be looked into as soon as possible. If the oil light and/or check engine light are flashing before it stalls, it can be a few different issues causing this. Also, a fault code may be stored in the system. Warning lights flashing after the engine stalls is normal. Most engine control units monitor readings from the oil pressure switch as well as the dozens of other sensors. Make sure the engine oil level is correct. If the oil pressure switch is intermittently losing it’s signal, then the ecu may think there is no engine oil pressure and shut down as a safety measure.

Have a certified technician look into the engine stalling as soon as possible. Losing steering and brake assist can be a safety hazard.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr