Q: My car was in a crash, and now the shifter won't come out of drive

asked by on December 12, 2016

Its been in a crash and its stuck in drive and the shifter won't move and don't know what to do

I’m not clear on where the car was damaged or if the damage was repaired, but it is possible that the shift cable was damaged if the car was hit in the right spot. The other possibility is that there is a problem in the shift interlock. The shift interlock in many cars works electronically off of the brake light circuit, so a problem in the brake lights can lead to a shifter that won’t move. Have friend look at the back of the car while you step on the brakes to see if everything is working. If you can’t find the problem, contact Your Mechanic if you would like to have a technician come to your home or office to look at your shifter problem and let you know what you can do for it.