Q: Front End Thumping Noise

asked by on December 01, 2016

Rhythmic (with wheel rotation) thumping sound coming from the front end, particularly noticeable (noisy) when coasting and when turning sharply. Started a couple of weeks ago as a faint (dog bark-like) sound when braking and turning. Repair shop said they're not convinced that the problem is a wheel bearing(s) and could not reproduce sound on a rack in the shop. They checked the front end linkage, wheel hub wobble, etc. and nothing is loose or abnormal.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

At first glance, I’d believe this noise is caused either by faulty wheel bearings or perhaps a warped brake rotor. However, it is very difficult to duplicate a road noise issue inside a shop or on a rack. This is why it’s always best to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection so they can road test the vehicle first before inspecting parts to determine what is causing the noises you’re experiencing.