Q: My car will not start when I turn the key, it just makes a clicking sound. What is wrong?

All of my lights come on, my windows roll up an down and I still have power, but when I go to start my car it just makes a clicking sound and will not start what is it?

A starter like any other mechanical and electrical part is subject to failing sometimes for no apparent reason. However, sometimes this is misdiagnosed as well and often times mistaken for something much more simple like a fuse, relay, or starter solenoid.

The starter relay is a small unit usually in the fuse box that directs power to the starter from the battery. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key.

There is also a starter solenoid on the starter that has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starting issue to get you back on the road.

3. My car will not start when I turn the key, it just makes a clicking sound. What is wrong?