Q: whirring noise

At speed, there's a whirring noise when I let off the accelerator. It goes away when I brake or get back on the gas. The pitch is affected by turning the wheel but the sound is not constant and there is no play in the wheel when off the ground which is why I've eliminated the bearing. seems to be coming from the passenger side but could be more centered. I'm not sure whats going on or what else to check.

A: Hi there: This sound may be coming from on...

Hi there:

This sound may be coming from one of your belts; either the drive belt, power steering belt or serpentine belt. When the belts on your Volvo are starting to wear out or collect excessive brake dust or other debris, this type of sound is very common, especially during deceleration or periods of idle. The problems can get worse when you steer the vehicle - especially if it's coming from the power steering system. If you'd like some assistance trying to properly diagnose your problems, a YourMechanic certified technician can be dispatched to your location to assist you in diagnosing this noise.