Q: My 2010 Chevrolet Equinox has a timing chain replaced and I was wondering if the timing gear was part of this.

I bought a car from the dealership and was told that they had just replaced a bad timing chain. Within the first 30day my car started stalling out and I took it to a mechaninc who said that the tensioner which in my 2010 Equinox is held on by oil pressure was loose due to low oil. The dealership then fixed this issue. #0 days after that the same thing happened. My car started to stall out all the time at red lights. I took it bad and the dealership told me that they "put on 2 gear tensioners." I am trying to find out what that would be or why if they had replaced the entire timing chain assembly in the beginning why I am still having issues with this.

Hello. If they replaced the timing chain to begin with then they should have also replace the timing chain gears and the tensioners at the same time. If they did not replace all of these parts when then installed the timing chain then they did not do a good job of repairing the vehicle. If the tensioners continue to fail due to a lack of oil pressure then there are other issues with the engine. It may have a failing oil pump. If you need some help with this engine, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the tensioners keep failing] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/timing-chain-replacement

Hi there. The dealership will only replace the parts that are making the noise or issue to the vehicle. The timing chain was probably stretched and the guides are probably worn. The tensioners are what adjust the timing chain to the guides and keep the chain tight. If the tensioners are sticking from oil sludge, then they would need to be replaced to operate correctly. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your stalling issue before replacing any additional parts.

3. My 2010 Chevrolet Equinox has a timing chain replaced and I was wondering if the timing gear was part of this.