Q: When starting, car shakes and rattles and then quits

asked by on August 15, 2016

When starting the engine, my car shakes and rattles and then eventually quits running. I know my o2 sensor needs to be replaced and I’m thinking this might be the cause of my car’s symptoms. After this happens, I turn it off and then restart the car. I have found a way to bypass this by starting the car, momentarily revving the engine, then immediately moving. If I don’t do this technique, it shuts off. Do you think the o2 sensor will fix this or is it something else?

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Sounds like you aren’t getting enough fuel during "cold" start. First thing, check the cold start injector, and thermo time sensor, which regulates how long the cold start injector squirts. Next, check the Over-Voltage Protection relay and circuit. If this has failed, the cold start circuitry doesn’t get power. A YourMechanic professional can confirm this with a diagnosis of your stalling issue and replace failed parts.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr