Q: When braking the entire front end rattles really badly, is this a brake problem or something else?

asked by on March 01, 2017

When braking (from speeds higher than about 20mph) the entire front end rattles and vibrates like it's going to fall apart. Brakes are still responsive, and I haven't noticed any odd noises beyond the rattling. Is this likely to be a problem with the brake system, like needing new brake pads or drums? Or could it be a problem with the alignment or bearings?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Considering the issue only happens when braking and there are no other signs of a suspension or steering component failure, you will want to check the brakes and the tires. The front brakes should be rotary, and you will want to check the pads for excess or uneven wear. You will also want to check the condition of the rotors and see if they are obviously warped or damaged. You may want to have them machined so they are even. While looking at the vehicle from the bottom, check the steering and suspension components to make sure they appear to be in good condition, and are free from blown out seals or bushings. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.