Q: reduce power engine light. vehicle is having a tough time getting power when pushing the gas pedel

asked by on March 01, 2017

My mechanic is based out of his home not a dealership. I just got my vehicle back after numerous parts and motor problems have been fixed and replaced. As I was driving my Equonox back home from my mechanics home yesterday the reduce power in engine light came back on for the 2nd time. I thought it was fixed the first time especially after my mechanic has replaced a bunch of things in the motor. Maybe this issue can only be fixed my technology he doesn't have. Is there any recommendations anyone of you all have that could be going in with my vehicle. I've read most of the forums about this light and what it could mean. Any suggestions?

The issue you are writing in about is common enough that a specific diagnostic, namely a Reduced Engine Power Warning Light Diagnostic is performed by technicians dispatched by YourMechanic. If you request that diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will get this issue resolved for you. In your circumstance, the vehicle’s powertrain control module (PCM) has undoubtedly stored one or more diagnostic trouble codes that will identify the "general area" in which the fault lies in the engine management controls. Although the throttle control system is a common trouble area when the Reduced Engine Power Warning Light illuminates, there are quite a few other components and systems that could come into play and, of course, there is always the possibility of multiple, or "coincident", faults. Here are some of the possibilities that YourMechanic diaspatched technicians would consider:

Defective throttle position (TP) sensor
Defective oxygen sensor
Defective accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor
Loose or damaged wiring
Defective throttle body
Defective powertrain control module (PCM) (not typical; ONLY if a long, long list of other possibilities is ruled out)
Any fault/error that will affect drivability function
Any fault/error that will affect vehicle performance
A fault/error in the emissions system
A fault/error in the throttle control system
A fault/error in the transmission control system

The Reduced Engine Power Warning Light is considered serious because of the immediate and severe drivability problems that will be present until the engine or transmission fault is repaired. If you request the recommended diagnostic the mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.