Q: transmission problems, fluctuating RPMs

I think my transmission is having problems. What happens is that every time I’m driving my protege 5 it shifts ok. But when I am driving at 60 km an hour or 40 or 100 the rpms seems to go high. But then it goes back to normal. It does this every few minutes, but I’m not sure if it’s a major issue or if something is wrong with the sensor or the possibility that there is some other problem with my car.

A: Hello. On automatic transmissions, the shif...

Hello. On automatic transmissions, the shift solenoids run by your speed sensors (and other sensors), will allow the RPMs to climb dramatically before a shift. If one or more of these sensors have failed, there is a chance your vehicle's RPMs will reach higher numbers at unusual times. Your best chance to start diagnosis of the issues will be with a scan tool. Check for proper function and voltage readings from the sensors if possible. If you need help with this diagnosis, a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can come to your car's location to inspect the transmission in order to have this corrected.