My 2003 ford explorer is jerking while driving 2003 v6-4....

Q: My 2003 ford explorer is jerking while driving

asked by on May 27, 2017

My 2003 ford explorer jerks while driving like its jumping

Hi There, A jerking reaction is generally caused by a couple of potential things such as a vacuum leak, a failing fuel pump or most commonly a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. This sensor relays vital information to the ECM which uses this to make adjustments to fuel supply to the motor. A dirty or faulty sensor can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.