Q: ck engine light & VSC and TRAC On lights on, too.

2010 Sienna Van LE w/93K mi. Ck engine/VSC/TRAC ON lights on. Dealer found Bank 2 incorrect timing and replaced VVTI solenoids and codes still present. Diagnosis: timing chain either stretched or jumped timing. Recommend tear down to eval level of severity. 2nd opinion of code P0018/P0019 indicates that the crankshaft and camshaft Bank 2 Sensor 'A' position signals did not correspond with each other for a predetermined period of time and effort should be made to put crankshaft and camshaft in sync. Main symptom: car is sluggish. Who to believe? What can be done, if anything? Trade or fix? Can a timing chain go bad after 93000 miles? How long can I drive it before it breaks down? Thanks so much. Bob

Hi Bob. There is so much to consider here, that it might be best to simplify this issue. The P0018 OBD-II trouble code indicates that the Oil Control Valve (OCV) is stuck closed or open mechanically. It also can be triggered by an electrical harness to camshaft or crankshaft position sensor that is damaged. You might want to read this article on that error code as it explain much more. In most cases, the timing chain itself will not break, but it is possible for supporting components to cause the timing chain to "skip" or cause issues. It’s very hard for us to tell you who to believe, but Toyota V-6 engines typically don’t have mechanical problems with the timing chain - unless there was an overheating problem or other oiling issue. Here is some advice to consider. If the cost of any repairs is more than 50% of the blue book value of your vehicle; I would replace the vehicle.

3. ck engine light & VSC and TRAC On lights on, too.