Q: Vehicle stalls while turning left.

asked by on February 17, 2017

I drive my vehicle in a hilly area and while driving in this area my truck stalls usually while making left turns when it happens the tachometer usually gets really bouncy. It will go up as high as 5k rpm the engine does not go up just the gauge reading. It stalls and then as I'm coasting I come out of the curve and it does start back up on occasion but most of the time I will throw it in neutral and restart it. Recently I noticed if I whip the steering wheel to the left and back straight again, the truck will momentarily die and when I straighten back up it will start again. Example: let's say there is a object in the road and u quickly jerk the steering wheel to the left and then back right to get back into your lane. During the left hand jerk the truck dies. But just as quickly as u go back right it starts again. I recently rebuilt the motor and replaced the fuel pump. I am getting about 16lbs of pressure constant. What could be causing my issue? Vehicle impact sensor? Distributor?

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, and thank you for writing in. The first thing you should do, considering the power steering pump is driven by the drive belt, is make sure the belt tensioner and the drive belt is tight, clean, and dry. If this belt is slipping, or cannot take the extra strain from the engine going up hill and powering the pump, it may be causing the engine to bog down. With that said, if the engine has low compression, or is struggling to make it up the hill, the added stress of powering the pump may be too much. This is likely going to be less of a simple sensor issue, and more about the engine strength, and the strength of those components around it. To start, check the condition of the power steering pump, then the belts, and then do some engine tests. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.