Q: What should I know about washing the exterior?

What should I know about washing the exterior?

Keeping your car clean is about more than just making sure that it looks good. Dirt, grime, road tar and other things can build up and cause problems – your paint can be etched, door jambs can become sluggish and other problems can crop up. Here’s what you need to know about washing the exterior of your car:

1. Hand wash your car using a soft cloth and a mild, gentle soap. Never use harsh cleansers or brushes with stiff bristles.

2. Dry the car with a chamois.

3. Polish the paint before applying wax. Use a high quality polishing compound and a soft cloth.

4. Apply a high quality wax after polishing.

5. Use quality glass cleaner and a clean, soft cloth to clean the interior and exterior of your windows and windshield.

6. Clean the tires with mild soap and water. Never use harsh cleansers or they might discolor the aluminum.

3. What should I know about washing the exterior?